Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thing 16

I've used Facebook a few times, but not often. My mother and sister wanted to share photos. My mother also wanted to keep up with extended family (her cousins, her aunts, etc.) My brother uses Facebook to talk to his friends and there are some games online associated with Facebook. So, I've never used this site professionally, but I can see how this would be used. You can invite as many people as you want to share information and connect to their sites.

I can see how PLNs can be enormous time-wasters, but they can also be good sources of information. I liked the idea of posting questions and inviting people to answer. I've seen sites before like that where people could post grammar questions, etc. and get answers from native speakers. As for time-wasters, there are surveys that are offered on Facebook like "What kind of wiper are you?" (questions about how you use toilet paper) Funny, but not something that I want to know about my students or my family members.

I'm not sure that I would really need "my own" PLN. As I mentioned, I found a site where people answer grammar questions, talk about culture, etc. I don't see that making a duplicate site would be beneficial. I think other sites are better for different applications. Some of these sites are "too social" and not professional in nature. They post advertisements. They post silly surveys and things that I would not want to share with my co-workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment