Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing 19

I've heard a lot about using podcasting, but I'd never really explored it since I don't have an Ipod. I know that one of our Spanish teachers uses Ipods for a music project. I wasn't too sure about having the kids just go out and download music because most of them were talking about illegal download services they knew about :)

So, having seen some of what was offered in the Grazr, I can see there is a large variety. I was concerned about using some of the audio-only programs, though, because literature firmly supports using pictures and simulations for foreign languages. From personal experience, I understand how easy it is to point to something and name it. Talking on a phone, for example, is difficult if the person strays into unfamiliar vocabulary. They can't just show you what they're talking about. So, I have to say that for beginner students, I was not impressed with Coffee Break French. I think that it might work with upper level students, but the grammar they were introducing was for beginners. Maybe this would work for the college crowd better, but I really can't see how this would be good for anyone really. I studied Japanese in a language lab like this and my experience was that I was constantly thinking "What are they talking about???" In the show, they were introducing "ce matin" and if the kids don't know what "matin" is, there is no support for them.

So, moving on to the History folder, I listened to HP01- The Only Atomic Bomb Ever Dropped on America. Well, this was like watching a history video without the music, interviews, and background scenes. Basically, it was a lecture. And we all know how often kids respond to lectures. Again, this wasn't a good choice in my opinion.

Ok, so maybe podcasts can be used in moderation with the kids making dialogues or their own newscasts or something, but it's not an impressive tool for introducing a lesson, expanding, etc. This seems like the best educational applications would be the kids making something and presenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment